If all you did was just look for things to appreciate
you would live a joyous, spectacular life.
I’m enjoying another day in paradise – blue sky, sunshine, gentle breezes. I especially love the feeling of the sun on the soles of my bare feet. Ahhhh…. happy feet. My toes are waving in glee.
I’m vacationing in my back yard, sitting in a lawn chair with a notepad, taking a little break from twittering on the computer. The nearest tweets are coming from real live birds. The wind is rustling through the trees and I’m sipping a cold glass of iced tea.
My summer is unfolding even better than I intended. I wanted to be in that vacation feeling all summer long and so far so good. I’m in the middle of a “work day” between coaching calls and just basking in the moment.
Finding things to appreciate is one of the fastest ways to get into a better feeling place. Want to try this yourself?
Take a moment to reflect on what’s good in your life right now. The more things you find to genuinely appreciate, the more you will lift your spirits. And the more you lift your spirits, the more ease you will feel, the more harmonious your interactions with others will be, and the more you will flow with life. Indeed, that high-on-life feeling puts you in the receiving mode for all things good.
You can appreciate the flowers in your garden, your treasures, your home, good times with your family, your beloved pets, your most loved vacations, your special talents, your magnificent body, the sunshine, the rain, technology, your computer, email, and so on.
Focus with delight on any topic that feels good to you and see if you can magnify the feeling. See if you can go on a “rampage of appreciation” as Abraham calls it. How high can you go?
I appreciate the beautiful yellow sunflowers and the rich harvest of spinach, chard and strawberries in our garden. I see the purple plastic kiddie pool nearby with two inches of water and remember how I love the laughter of children as they splash around in the pool or play on the trampoline. And I love how I timed my break perfectly for some quiet time to myself. Mina must be down for her afternoon nap. It’s so still here now, except for the dancing trees, the singing robins and the occasional sound of an airplane overhead. I love that.
Do you get the idea?
Here’s what else I appreciate:
- I love how my neighbour who has such a bountiful crop of kale in her communal garden plot will deliver a huge bunch on request for only a toonie (that’s two Canadian dollars).
- I love that I get to drink a green smoothie made from fresh greens from the garden every day
- I love that I get to work from home and follow my energy about what I want to do and when I want to do it
- I love that I get to walk in the beautiful forest and dyke trails near here with neighbours I love
- I love learning new technical things on the computer – who knew Twitter could be so much fun!
- I love that my kids are home from school and I can sleep in longer if I choose
- I love that I’ve enjoyed many trips already this summer – camping at Paradise Valley near Squamish with my neighbors, walking and hiking near Roberts Creek on the Sunshine Coast, visiting with old friends and making new friends
- I love that I had an uplifting adventure to Portland to see Esther and Jerry Hicks and once again experience Abraham in a “Law of Attraction” workshop
- I love that I got to visit and experience two other cohousing communities – Roberts Creek and Trillium Hollow
- I adore my loving husband Howard and my beautiful kids Lani and Ben…
Well, I’m high on life now.
It’s your turn. What do you appreciate?